We love a good brunch on the weekends. Souffles are wonderful because they are light and airy, and also delicious. If you've ever had one, the preparation might seem a bit daunting, but in truth they are quite easy to prepare.
Nice and light, made with local avocados and Key lime juice.
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream + 1 tablespoon
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (we used habanero powder)
- 1 teaspoon Key lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Peel the avocado and chop. Transfer to a blender.
- Add 1 tablespoon heavy cream and Key lime juice. Blend to form a puree. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add butter and flour. Mix to form a roux.
- Add 3/4 cup cream and stir until consistent. Remove from heat and transfer to mixing bowl.
- To mixing bowl, add egg yolks, chili powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add egg whites and beat with a hand mixer on high about 5 minutes, or until the whites are fluffy and form stiff peaks.
- In small batches, fold the egg whites into the egg-roux-avocado mixture. Do this gently, as not to compromise the fluffiness of the egg whites.
- Once completed, gently transfer mixture into lightly oiled small ramekins or into a larger baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through and still slightly moist in the middle. You can check with a toothpick.
Back to Florida Keys Recipes